Acne is a common skin condition that can have a huge emotional impact on a young person. Fortunately here at CWM and skin clinic, we are experienced in helping patients treat acne effectively.
We are well respected throughout the Riverina for our acne treatment services.
By the time many patients come to see us, they have a cupboard full of skin care products and half used prescription creams and medications.
We have found the key to treating acne is to take a holistic approach, considering all the factors contributing to the acne and treating then accordingly.
What causes acne?
A variety of factors contribute to acne and its severity
- Genetic predisposition
- Hormonal changes that result in increased sebum (skin oil) production
- Increased turnover of the superficial skin cells, faster than the skin can ‘shed’ the old cells
- Inflammation - caused by a combination of bacterial and other factors
- Diet and gut bacterial balance
- Stress and emotional factors
A holistic approach to acne treatment will focus on treating as many factors as possible.
Who gets acne?
Acne is a common condition that affects males and females at similar rates, and is most prevalent in adolescents and young adults. About 85% of people aged 16-18 will struggle with acne.
What makes acne worse?
Flares in acne can be caused by a number of factors, including:
- Heavy, oil based creams and cosmetics that block pores and prevent oxygen from penetrating the skin
- Some medications, in particular hormonal treatments such as contraceptives
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- A diet high in dairy products and simple sugars
How do you treat acne?
At CWM and Skin we take a holistic approach. There is no one size fits all or a magic bullet. After taking a thorough history and examination we will come up with an individualised plan. Options will include:
- Addressing hormonal imbalances
- Changes to diet and the addition of vitamins if needed. We also recommend probiotics and food high in pre-biotics
- Consideration of the role of oral antibiotics and the oral contraceptive pill (not all patients require these treatments, please discuss further with your doctor)
- Topical prescription creams, including retinoids and antibiotics
- Topical probiotics
- A skincare regime which is oil free, non comedogenic and contains alpha and beta hydroxy acids to help remove dead skin and keep pores free of oil and dead skin cells
- In clinic treatments: Skin peels, LED light therapy, laser skin therapy, skin needling and microdermabrasion. As a medical skin clinic, we only use evidence based and TGA approved devices. All our treatments are provided by doctors or specially trained nurses.
How do I start my acne treatment journey?
The first step is to book an appointment with Dr Tracey Purnell. She will take a thorough history and examination and come up with an individualised written plan. Should you decide to use our in clinic treatments, one of our trained nurses will provide the treatment, under Dr Purnell’s direct supervision.
How much does it cost?
Your initial consultation with Dr Purnell will cost $150 (minus a long consultation Medicare rebate).
This includes prescriptions for any medication that needs to be purchased at a pharmacy and a written plan.
Your plan will include all the costs up front. Please see our pricing page for individual treatment prices. We pride ourselves by being upfront with our pricing and providing options to suit all budgets.